We’ve all seen her: that woman who always looks effortlessly chic; her clothing impeccably tailored (and wrinkle free!); her hair in that perfectly messy, but you know it took 30 minutes to achieve style, and her makeup artfully applied. I am.not.that.woman! But I try to be, and I think I come pretty darn close (on most days) to achieving that elegant aesthetic. I have crafted a list of 5 style tips (with pictures!) that, when used correctly, can take you from Main St to Madison Ave in 30 minutes or less! *As always, click the links to purchase!
1. Neutrals. People see this and they instantly conjure up images of beige, oatmeal, and blah. But the new school neutrals include blush (which has been gorgeous this S/S), 50 shades of gray (pun intended), and even darker shades like Bordeaux. All of these colors are beautiful, but provide a non threatening base for you to build your look upon.
2. Anything in Camel*. I love a good camel colored cashmere or wool overcoat in winter. Heels in this shade are a touch darker than nude, but look stunning on every skin tone. And let’s not even talk about a good camel colored leather handbag: it really brings a look together and makes you look super wealthy!
3. Dainty jewelry. I love a good statement necklace. I really do. Some say they are dated, but I’m still holding on to mine! (hoarder level=3.5/10) All jokes aside, when you need to look refined, dainty pieces in gold, or white gold are the way to go. Think: fine chains with a small charm; 1 or 2 gold bracelets (more on the spectrum of Cartier Love, and NOT an arm cuff!) if you really need to look elegant, think like Grace Kelly and slip on a pearl necklace with matching pearl earrings.
4. Shoes. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m all about low cost fashion, and expensive handbags and shoes. Now, shoes that say “Man-made Uppers” may be fine for day to day, but when you need to look like the refined Suburban Socialite you are, the shoe has to come correct! Nude is always a great option, and I find that pointy toe heels no less than 3″ will pull a look together like no one’s business! On the luxe end, you can’t go wrong with Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo, or Manolo Blahnik (the BB pumps are youthful and trendy). If you don’t want to commit to spending a ton, Steve Madden, Jessica Simpson, and Vince Camuto are the way to go. For evenings, I love a classic black patent pump, a strappy stiletto, or a sexy D’orsay cut.
*I selected black and nude shades, but most of these options come in more than one color. There is nothing wrong with a heel in a complimentary “pop” color!
5. Hair and Makeup. Combining these, because while I can tell you every leather and color combination that Hermes uses, I am not the best at hair and makeup. I will say that a topknot bun always makes you look chic and polished, even if you are wearing workout attire. Same for a low chignon. Loose wavy hair, with a side or center part is also very refined. A red lip always screams glamour and polish. All other makeup should be understated and neutral so as to not overpower the red lip.
6. Handbags and Accessories: The Pièce de résistance! We have all seen photos of women dressed to kill, with their Louis Vuitton Speedy hanging on their arm just so. I know everyone doesn’t have the same budget, but I have found that mid-tier designer and luxury brand pieces can really elevate a look in minutes! We’ve all seen those style bloggers who can pair a white tee and jeans with a Gucci belt and look oh so fab! Get inspired below: I’ve curated bags and accessories for every budget!
See ya next time!