I am soooo not a morning person. For me, waking up is a daily struggle that entails hitting the snooze button in rapid succession (why does 5 minutes fly by so quickly when snoozing, but a minute lasts a dang hour on my treadmill?); waking up and lying in bed thinking about how much I hate having to get up; finally getting up and then being mad at myself for lying in bed so long that I don’t have time to do a decent job on my hair and makeup. I go through this pattern every.single.day. Well, I did…at least until I decided to change my morning routine so that I am much more productive from the moment my feet hit the floor, till I’m walking out the door!
Before I changed my routine, Monday’s were always the worst. After sleeping in late over the weekend, it can be sooo hard to get back into the groove for the work week. I’ve found that these tips I’m going to share, really help me to start my week on the right foot. I don’t rush as much; I get to work on time (and looking much more polished, to boot); and I even get to take the time to relish my morning Latte, instead of drinking it in desperation! I hope you enjoy these tips! If you have any to add, please share them in the comments below! 😘
The morning of:
1. Stop hitting snooze. Seriously. Just don’t do it. And I’m saying this as someone who has an iPhone alarm set to go off every 5 minutes over the course of an hour! 😂 But pressing the snooze button can sometimes send you back into deep or even REM sleep, which will leave you feeling even groggier and disconnected when you finally do wake up. I have gotten past this habit by immediately sitting up in bed as soon as my alarm goes off, and putting both feet on the floor. I may take some time to sit on the edge of my bed and stretch/do neck rolls, but generally, placing both of my feet on the floor gives me the willpower to push up, and actually get out of bed! #simplebuteffective
2. Water! The colder the better. Get a Yeti (or a cheaper version), and fill it with ice and water (bonus points if you add lemon) and put it on your nightstand before bed. When you wake up the next morning, your water will still be icy, and crisp! Take a few sips immediately after you wake up, and your body will feel energized and refreshed within minutes!
3. Coffee! If you’re not a morning person, and you don’t jump out of bed humming a tune, while birds and woodland creatures come to make your bed and help you get dressed…welcome to my life! If I didn’t have caffeine (in the form of a French Vanilla Latte with extra vanilla thankyouverymuch), I would not make it past 10:30am. Drink responsibly: don’t go spending $5 on Starbucks everyday if it’s not in your budget…McDonald’s has great coffee for $1…I’m just sayin’…But for reals, get some caffeine in you if you need the jolt! The amount of caffeine in a cup of joe has been shown to increase alertness, productivity, and increase focus, and shouldn’t cause too much jitteriness, especially if you just stick to 1 or 2 cups!4. Breakfast. While you’re having that aforementioned coffee, try to sit down and have a quick meal! Breakfast is critical for helping you have enough energy to tackle your day! Even if you don’t have time for the American staples of bacon’n’eggs, there are sooo many breakfast-on-the-go options these days! Try some Greek Yogurt! Easy to eat while commuting, and the high protein content will keep hunger at bay, at least until lunch! Other quick options include breakfast bars, fruit and veggie smoothies, instant oatmeal, and my tried and true: cereal and milk in a red Solo cup! Easy to eat, and disposable!
5. Get to work a little earlier. How much earlier is up to you, but I think 15 minutes is a good start. This is especially helpful on Monday’s. The extra time will allow you to go over your calendar, check any lingering voicemails, clean up and prepare your workspace (if needed), and if so inclined, talk to God about how you want your week to go! I also love to listen to motivational podcasts in the morning right before work, and getting to work early is a great time for fitting that in! Right now, I’m listening to the Becoming Fearless Style Collective Podcast!
The night before:
1. Get your clothes together at night! I sooo feel like my mother right now. I never thought I’d see this day, but y’all…our moms were right! By taking just a few moments to pick out my clothes at night, iron them, and choose shoes/accessories, I cut out so much time in the mornings, that allows me to eat breakfast and effectively plan my day! I actually timed this, and realized that I save about 15 minutes.
2. Put all critical items by the door. Don’t waste precious time in the morning hunting for car keys, looking for your coffee cup, or trying to find your purse. If you have a garage (or you feel it’s safe) go ahead and put your purse, briefcase or any necessities in the car the night before. Otherwise, stash everything by the door so it’s quick to pick up! I also like to keep an umbrella by the door as well.
3. Jot down your to-do’s. This tip really helps me in the mornings! I used to use my phone to take notes, but I’ve recently gotten into using planners. The one I’m currently using is by JF Planners, and I love it because it’s so simple. Some of the bloggers I follow have gorgeous planners, that they color code, use stickers, special markers, etc. I’m sure I’ll get there eventually, but for now, I’m just enjoying the difference in actually taking the time to write things down, and how much more I actually stick to the list after I’ve done so!
See ya next time!